Monday, October 16, 2017

A Compliment ...


In school, the teacher told me to keep quiet
And stop complaining even though
The sweet boy next to me was bullying me

The principal in my college told me
To shut my mouth and enlightened me that ragging
Is a must for mental strength


My boss demanded to prove myself multiple times
For that promotion I deserved
When my male colleague was handed that in a jiff

At the age of 24 I was forced to see men
So that could they could judge me, mark me
And weigh me against dowry

At 25 I was told by in-numerous aunts, uncles and neighbors
It’s high time to find a man to protect me because
Society doesn’t have the heart to hold single girls of 25+

At 27 I became a spoilt girl when
Decided to walk out of a marriage
They said emotional abuse was nothing

All these people had one thing in common
Even though the situations varied
Scenarios changed
Personalities differed

All these people had one thing to say
One compliment to make me smile
That I was Disobedient.





I’m participating in the Write Tribe Problogger October 2017 Blogging Challenge through October. #WriteBravely

Today’s Prompt – “Disobedience”




Adding this to #MondayMusings too





30 comments :

  1. Sometimes your sanity and happiness is more important than silver and gold. Wonderfully written and best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO true. And Amen to that.
      Thank you so much :)

      Delete
  2. It is such a sad state of affairs, that if a woman revolts against harassment of any sort, she is the one who is labelled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So brave and so true Sheethal. Society pulls down women who want to have a say in their happiness; good on you to break free!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :)
      It's high time we all break free from those shackles.

      Delete
  4. Not sticking to the societal norms is labelled as disobedience. Sad and harsh reality! :|

    ReplyDelete
  5. Society expects others to fall in step with their whims and wishes. If not, they're "disobedient". Silly notion, really. But yes, if that's the way it is to be, it's a great compliment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :)
      It should be taken as a compliment only.

      Delete
  6. Ah! Couldn't agree more Sheethal! If we females have an opinion of our own then it not a thing which is called "Not so lady like", it means we are spoilt and cannot be handled or difficult to handle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cringe at that phrase "Not so lady like".
      Thank you so much :)

      Delete
  7. That's bravo, Sheethal! And such valid points you've raised. I sometimes wish people just minded their own business and leaves us as be. Hmmph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :)
      Some people just don't know to mind their own lives only. They keep poking at others all the time.

      Delete
  8. Such a profound poem. You have done complete justice to the prompt. Loved it ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite a plethora of emotions captured over the course of years! Being branded disobedient without any regard for our thoughts is naive. But then, only we know why we do certain things. Very well penned, Sheethal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) As years pass the scenarios also might change.

      Delete
  10. I applaud all woman who have stood for themselves. They are ones who are trying to change the views of the society and make the lives of next generation much more easier. Very well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. We should salute the women before us for taking the stand and for been brave.

      Delete
  11. This is how it is , but let's be disobedient to make a difference and a better place for our daughters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. We should be disobedient for our children.

      Delete
  12. The pressure to conform is stifling. I salute every woman who has the courage to break the mould.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true. God bless all the woman out there.

      Delete
  13. Ah! The dreaded world of a woman. If this were written from a man's perspective, it would be ringing with success and accolades no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men might have their own difficulties too. But never this much.
      Thank you so much. :)

      Delete
  14. Power writing. The patriarchal and conservative society impose their flaws as rules and hail women who dare disobey :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. May she continue being strong and disobedient

    ReplyDelete